Prince of Pico #TweetTweetJam

My 5th annual #TweetTweetJam entry is: Prince of Pico !
An attempt to remake the classic "Prince of Persia" game, by Jordan Mechner  in PICO-8, but in just 560 chars, using NO art assets! πŸ˜…

CONTROLS

  • Walk   = β—€ /  β–Ά
  • Jump = πŸ”Ό

GAME

  • Explore a 3D(ish), Procedurally-generated Dungeon β›“
  • Unlock gates using floor triggers to advance πŸšͺ
  • Jump around with realistic* physics and collision πŸ‘€
  • ...That's about it! πŸ˜…
    Alas, while I got a full platformer, with generated map + sprites in just 560 chars - I didn't have space to add what I wanted (lose life, sword, enemies, traps)

SOURCE CODE (560 bytes / 552 chars)

e=370poke(24364,3)g="β– β– β–₯"x=9y=24v=0t=58r=rnd
cls()srand()rectfill(8,0,15,7,13)d=0l=0p=pget
?g,9,0,6
?g,7,4
?g,y,6,5
memcpy(0,24576,β–€)for a=0,64do
fset(a,a==2and 2or 1)for b=0,e do
l-=1if l<1then
l=r(14)c=r{0,1}k=camera
if(c==1and mget(b,a-2)>0)mset(b,a-1,r{2,3})end
mset(b,a,c)end
end::_::cls()k(x\t*t,y\t*t)for z=1,5do
o=0l=1d=max(d-.01)g=btn
if(z==4)l=2o=d
map(0,0,-z,z-o,e,e,l)end
if(p(x,y+v)!=0)v=0
if(g(2)and v==0)v-=2.2
x+=g()\2%2-g()%2y+=v
c=p(x,y)
if(c>5)v=0y,x=m,n
if(c==5)d=min(d+1,7)
?"웃",x-3,y-3,7
v+=.2k()
?"β–Άβ–Άβ–Ά",1,t,8
n,m=x,y
flip()goto _

Comments

Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.

(+1)

Wow! Really cool. You have incited me to learn the ways of pcg in pico for future tweettweet editions.

(+1)

Nice! The chunkier graphics mode is a cool way of making the prince bigger.

(+1)

So impressive! I love that you even got the life triangles in there!

(+1)

Thanks!
Yup, that was key to me to help "sell" the demake 
(regardless of the chars wasted on a non-functioning health mechanic! πŸ‘€)

(+1)

Nice brickwork! Very impressive level design for a tweet game.

Thanks a lot 😊
You don't wanna know how many "seeds" of the level generation I tried, until I find one that *kinda* worked! πŸ˜…

(+1)

Wow! That definitely resembles Price of Persia close enough to be recognized. It's rather wonky, but wringing as much gameplay out of the original as you did in 560 characters is an achievement. I like your use of procedural generation to fit a big level in small codespace.